CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hearst Castle

High on the hill, Hearst Castle.
The clouds rolled through as we looked at this magnificent pool that was filled with natural spring water. I think even Phil would swim in this one since there were no chemicals used to keep this pool looking this amazing. I was in awe of the mosaic patterns used in the tiles in the pool as well as the sculptures that were in and around the pool.
The front of the home.
This is part of one of the living room areas where parties were held. I loved the tapestries and the intricately carved wood panels from Europe.

All the years I lived in California and this was my first visit to Hearst Castle. I marveled at the artistry that was collected there yet saddened by the opulence. I can think of many things all this money could be used for, yet William Randolph Hearst could do nothing with any of these things once he died. He did appreciate fine art, and it was a creative pleasure to see all of these things in one place.
This indoor swimming pool was under the tennis courts. This whole room was done in mosaic tiles with morano glass and real gold leaf. It was stunning.

1 comments:

Seven's Heaven said...

Wow, it's been like 15 years since we were there. Need to go again. amazing. Soryr about the bee sting!